Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Jackson and Back


We got home late last night from our trip to Jackson. Here is a quick recap of our trip.
Tuesday we had to get up at 4:30am to catch our 6:00am flight. Everything went perfect and we arrived in Jackson at 12:30pm. We checked into the Rusty Parrot for the three nights all complements of a good friend of mine that’s the Assistant GM. I cannot believe we stayed there. It's so nice! Check out the link http://www.rustyparrot.com/. Tuesday night we joined up with some of our friends and had dinner and cocktails of course after a trip by the "factory".
Wednesday morning treated us to 7” of new snow at the village and some pretty good skiing for March. More beers and dinner with friends.

Thursday morning Kevin, Harlin, and I head out to the backcountry for some fresh tracks. We were on top of the pass and putting in the boot pack by about 6:45am. Nothing like a morning hike up (I cannot tell you where we were hiking because it’s a secret) to the summit. It’s a pretty short hike but very steep. After about an hour of hiking we hit the summit. The sun came up and it was like I remembered it. Absolutely amazing….Gods county! In honor of my arrival the boys gave me first tracks and WOW it was perfect. About 12” – 14” of new snow on top of a pool table. We were the only ones out and we had this whole area to ourselves. After I got out of the backcountry Lyn and I headed over to Targee for more skiing. The weather and snow was perfect. Are you sure it’s late March? The snow was falling like it was January.

Friday was the Marmot party at the village. We arrived at the village around 12:00, had lunch at the VC, and hit the hill around 1:00pm. We made a couple classic laps around the hill and crashed the party at 3:30pm. If you were wearing a marmot jacket you got free beer. Yes you heard me right...free beer? So needs less to say it was a day of après skiing. We came home from the village and headed out for dinner, dancing, and everything in between. It was a late night and we saw some many old friends out and about.

Saturday lead to a day of nothing but hanging out. It felt great to do nothing. Neither Lyn or myself really get the opportunity to just sit on our butts and do nothing. Saturday night all 7 of us took the START bus to the village for an outdoor concert. The bus ride home was absolutely crazy. Ask me about it sometime.

Sunday was another lazy day. Lyn and I did some driving around a took some photos. Sunday night was more food, friends, and fun.

Monday was absolutely amazing at the Big One! They got 10 inches over night (if you know your way around the mountain it was more like 12 - 24) and it snowed hard all day. By the end of the day they had over 2+ feet of new snow. It was one of the best single day dumps of the year. If you ever get the chance to ski Jackson on a big dump you’ll never forget your experience. The mountain has great fall lines and the terrain in bounds is amazing. So we pretty much wore ourselves out.
Tuesday our flight was leaving at 1:30pm. Hum….1:30…I can hit the backcountry in the morning before our flight. Kevin, Harlin, and I headed out around 6:00am to a full moon guiding our way. Nothing like leaving on a good note. We had untracked lines in all the secret spots. Untracked power and about 3+ feet….what a morning. I got back in time for Lyn and I to have a late breakfast and get to the plane. Once and again another great trip to the Hole. It was great seeing everyone. Until the next trip.

Wake up call to get your butt out of bed.
Washington to Denver. Denver to Jackson.

Hanging out with Rob "UB" at the factor. UB makes the most comfortable custom blowup mattresses in the world! He makes them for yurts, pickup beds, tents, etc. His company is called Solace www.solacejh.com.

Also occupying the factory are the Igneous Ski boys www.igneousskis.com/. These guys make some bad a** skies. Here is a photo of one of their presses.

Here's another shot of the press.

The finished product.

These are x-rated. Don't click this photo if you are under 18. Great graphics!

Heading up Thunder lift

Lyn "LGR" sking down tram line and waving to her fans Heading up on the Bridger gondala

Off to the quad to ski the Altas.

What time is it? It's first tracks time! You know it's going to be a good day in the backcountry when you have to follow the snow plow up the pass.

Up, up, and away to the top.

Just like I remember it. Beautiful and magical. Can someone say blue bird power day.

Kevin getting some good turns in.

Here comes Harlin.

The backcountry was skiing so good I thought Lyn and I should head over to Targee in search of more powder. No lift lines and great snow. I love this little place. If the village gets 12" this place get 24"

The money shot

Lyn smiling behind the Grand Teton

Nothing like a little RR in the hot tube after a great day of skiing.

Eating some good Sushi with the boys and Robin.

UB, Lyn, and Joe

I have no idea how to explain these next few photos. This is what happens when you have a small portable camera and a few beers. Kevin makes some unbelievable faces.

Kevin...looking good.

This is one of the best ones.

Taking a day off and driving around the park taking photos.

The range

Where I use to call home.


A cabin where Lyn's great grandparents took a photo back in the 60's?

Waiting on the Start bus. No driving for these kids.


Waiting for the show to start at the village.

Is it really doing this again?

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Heading to the White Room.

Off to a magical place.

Nothing like a lot of snow and steep terrain to play on.

My flight doesn't leave until this afternoon. Lets get some good turns in before my flight. Back to the backcountry we go for another round. This time it was a fun moon guiding our way to the top. Natural light at it's best.

Where do I ski? It all looks so good.

Unloading the gear and all I need to make sure is I make my 1:30pm flight or Lyn is going to have my head. 3 feet plus was a treat right before I got on the plan.

An airport with a view.

Heading back to Asheville.

Nothing like skiing amazing powder yeaster morning and now I'm on a killer road ride with the temps in the 70's. Wow...does it get any better? Here is me....

My riding buddy....

and some of my favorit dirt roads.

The best thing about our trip was getting home to be with Paige. We had a great time but we missed our little girl everyday.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a great time!

Shelley said...

Great pics!