Sunday, March 25, 2007

What A Weekend

The weather was amazing this weekend. Saturday treated us to 75 degrees and Sunday was around 83 degrees. Spring is here! Saturday morning when I got up I decided it was time to go for my first real road ride of the year. Lyn, Paige, and I decided to have a big, greasy breakfast at the Waffle House. That place is so bad for you but it’s tasty. My ride…I decided to head to Mt. Mitchell and back.

Mt. Mitchell is the highest peak east of the Mississippi and one hell of a climb from Asheville. I called everyone I knew and they all said no thanks, so I loaded up my ipod and headed out by myself. It’s about a 5 hour round trip ride with about 3 hours of climbing in the saddle. The ride was awesome and I loved every minute of it. You could not have asked for a more beautiful day. On my way back down to Asheville I caught up to a guy and rode with him for awhile. While we were descending I was asking myself “why do I think I know this guy?”. Finally after a few minutes I asked if his name was Jeff and he said “yes”. He is the Trek rep I used to deal with back in my days working in a shop. I haven’t seen him in 5 or 6 years. Last time we saw each other was back in the King days at Interbike in 2000 or 2001. Anyways…it was good catching up with him.

Saturday night lead to a good steak dinner and a few beers at the neighbors. Of course after the feast we came home and started a nice fire out back, and relaxed until I about feel asleep.

Sunday lead to more riding. This time on the dirt in the back yard. I caught up with a few of the neighborhood boys and had a great ride. After I got back Lyn went out for a few hours herself. 80 plus degrees in March! You have to take advantage of it.

Now for the fun part! We just pack for our trip! We are heading back to Jackson, Wy for 8 days! I cannot wait to see all my good friends which I have not seen in about 3 years. Way to long! There should be some good spring skiing off the pass in all the secret stashes. Well that’s enough rambling and typing. You all take care and I’ll try to blog on our trip…but no promises.


Taking a picture of myself because no one wants to ride with me today. Maybe my clothes stink?

Up, up, and away. Off to Mitchell I go.

Only 3.9 miles to go!

Sarah and Paige battle for position on exiting the window first.


Paige and Cisco


Paige and Fran

Boots....Check. Skins....check. Transceiver....check. Jacket....check.

Moonshine for the boys.....check!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great road ride! I'm going to have to come visit sometime!

Have a great time in Jackson!

Shelley said...

Three hours in the saddle...thats nuts! Have a great trip!

Dadageik said...

Nice work Kirby...
Plans are in the works to come out to NC over 4th of July (for 10 days)...we will ride!

The Fun Park said...

YES!!!! That sonds great!