Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Tell Me It's Not True....The Kestrel Is Dead!



A few weeks ago I did the Icycle race in Fontana, NC. I converted my old Kestrel CSX mountain bike into a single speed awhile back. This frame rocks as a single speed. You don’t see that many carbon single speeds out on the trail. Anyways…the seat collar they use is an insert. At the race I broke the insert. Luckily one of my old contacts from the King days still works at Kestrel. I gave JD a call and no problem. Send it back and we can fix it. Sweet…I never want to lose this frame. Kestrel doesn’t make this frame anymore and I love. So I’m welling to do what it takes to fix it.

Last night I got a phone call from the warranty department. The top tube of the frame is cracked. I wanted to drop to my knees and scream….NOOOOOOOO! I cannot believe this day has come. I love that frame! So I asked him if he could make me a frame (just kidding…I didn’t ask that). I asked him what my options are. The only option is they can give me a new road frame. This is not the option I was looking for but I guess I’ll get a new road frame.

So I called my neighbor last night and talked about a few frame ideas. I’m going to get the geometry from Kestrel and build my own steel single speed. Hopefully next month I can start working on the project. I’ll keep you posted on the progress. I still cannot belive this happen. I know Ken will feel my pain.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the Kestrel.

A sad day indeed.

Dadageik said...

RIP dear Kestrel, now you have a Chinese version on the way..I say eBay.

Tell me that the 200Sci still lives!

I feel like we are still at King, albeit seperated by 3000 miles...I get a bike, you get a bike! I too want my Retrotec to mirror my Ventana to a T (size, etc).

I've got 6 months until delivery, but I need the time. Keep me posted as your new one develops

The Fun Park said...

Thanks for the support. The 200Sci still lives but will be replaced with the Evoke.

I think next time the bike industry wants to see how much people spend on bikes they should just talked to the three of us. I'm sure they would get the numbers they are looking for.

I did get the geometry of the CSX from Kestrel yesterday which I’m going to use for my new bike. We might get our new single speeds around the same time.

Anonymous said...

On the Thomson stuff....what sizes do you need? Sorry, my e-mail isn't working right now or else I'd e-mail you.

The Fun Park said...

Not sure until I get the frame. I'll let you know.

Why no e-mail? Is it because you have a mac...ha,ha,ha. Ken...that was a joke. I don't want PC hate mail.

David said...

Kirby, I actually have a Kestrel CSX frame and I am thinking of selling it...if you are interested, contact me. david (dot) everest at gmail (dot) com