Sunday, December 16, 2007

4 Hour Cross Ride To Somewhere

There was a lot of talk about several of us from NC heading over to Cross Nationals this weekend. Instead, several of us decided not to go for many different reasons (family, work, etc.). All of us that ride and race together are real working class, family guys. Not everything goes as planned. So we decided to do a 3 or 4 hour cross ride to places we have never been before. The only restraint was myself. I had to leave DuPont by 10:45am or 11:00am to make it home in time to head to JC for Caroline’s college graduation. DW was the group leader and away we went. We got moving right at sun up (7:30am).

We where in and out of trails, dirt roads, paved roads, and finally hit an area where everyone was looking a little lost. That’s right….LOST! There where some areas on the route that no one has tried linking up before. We knew going into this it could get a little dicey. I could make this store long but I’m going to sum it up.

Dirt roads to nowhere, riding across peoples property and ending up behind their gate, getting stopped by a security guard, back tracking, flat tire, awesome overlook, really cool youth camp, did I mention cold, bush whacking, and Jason setting a freaking fast pace line to get me to my truck about 40 minutes late. Big thanks to Jason for putting in a huge monster effort to help me get back to the truck as fast as possible. This type of adventure is what makes riding so much fun.

Needless to say I made it home in time for Lyn to jump in the truck and I had to take a shower in JC. But I made it! I got a little crazy with the video clips.
Heading in SC

We found this really beautiful chappel overlooking the mountains

We ended up on the wrong side of the gate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks a like you had a fun and cold ride.