Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Icycle Time

Every year I go to a race called the Icycle in Fontana Village, NC. They do a cross country race in the afternoon, and when the sun disappears, and there is no light to be found the night downhill race beginnings. The race is always known for its crazy weather. It might be 65… and it might be zero and snowing. More times then not its snowing and usually a muddy disaster. Most of the time your lucky to finish the race due to the conditions. I started doing this race when it first started in 1997. The only time I missed a race was the three years I was in California. Now that I’m back on the East Coast this was my third time racing it since I have been back. It has turned into one of those races were if you miss it, you feel bad. When this race was first formed maybe 30 racers would show up. This weekend there was something like 180 racers…big change. Anyways….it was a lot of fun. Raining in the morning turned into snow by race time, and the course was a wreck, but I loved every minute. Unfortunately I did not finish the race. I made it two laps and lost both brakes and I was all over the trail because I was riding worn out tires. After the second lap I decided it was best to give up and not hurt myself. We stayed at the village saturday night and drove home sunday morning. Good times!



Staying dry before the race
Eat a little mud during the race
I haven't even thought about cleaning my bike. I might just start riding my single speed again. Maybe I'll clean my bike sometime next year.

2 comments:

Steve said...

KB!

It looks cold out there! Sorry to hear about the brakes going south. Next time my friend, next time.

Let me know on DeSalvo!

The Fun Park said...

DeSalvo....yes!!!! Do I call you or Mike.