Sunday, December 11, 2005

So a few months ago I was talking to my neighbor about riding in the back yard and he mentioned a trial called “Shut-In”. He said it’s and illegal trail in the summer and usually completely over grown. We talk a little more about it and he gave me some general direction on how to find it and where it goes. He said it can be about a 3 hour ride from the house. He also said there is a lot of hike a bike sections, steep climbs, rocky descents, etc.. A few months ago I put my geared bike together with the intension of going out and finding this trail.
I finally got my $?!@ together and took off in search of the famous "Shut-In" trail. I found the trail and it turned out to be a great ride and adventure. It was everything my neighbor said. The ice fell off the trees and coated the trails up high. It was pretty cool! It looked like someone flew over with an ice machine and dumped it on the trials. On some of the descents it felt like you were surfing. It was also the last day of dear hunting season. I did run across a few "good old boys" and I don't think they were happy with me. I'm sure to a deer this time of year a cyclist probably sounds like a fright train crashing thought the woods with all the sticks and leaves on the ground. It was a beautiful day to be on the trails. Here are a few photos of the ride.

12:15pm Here's the bridge we made to get over the creek.

1:00pm The back roads to the Parkway

1:45pm Finaly the top of the road. Now the fun will start.

1:15pm I can tell I'm gaining some elevation.

2:20pm Finaly the steeps I heard about. Start hike a biking!

No comments: